Re: How to get my computers IP address

On Thursday 30 Jun 2005 11:01, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> But now the IP I get from myip.com or from syslog file is the IP of the
> router. Is it still possible to share files as I used to and how can I
> do it? Which is my computer's IP now?

Your computer most likely uses a private IP address behind the router, which
is not valid on the Internet -- only the router has an actual Internet IP,
and so that's all you can give to others who might want to contact you.

You need to setup your router's NAT to forward ports from the router to your
machine.  So, with http for example, other people will try to access a file
at the router's IP on port 80, but the router will actually pass that
communication on to your own PC, behind the router, at a private IP address,
using the same port.  You can use a different port, if you choose, of course.

It's also worth noting here that most routers support dynamic IP, so you can
register for an account with somewhere like dyndns.org, and then people will
be able to contact your router via a name that always works, rather than just
a temporary IP address.  ADSL IPs can be *very* temporary, so that might be
wise :)

Good luck :)

--
Lee.

Please do not CC replies directly to me.  I'll read them on the list.