Help with broken Aptitude

Hello everyone.

I have a Debian Sarge box that was working fine until Sarge went stable.
Aptitude has started acting very strange,  in fact apt in general
seems broken.  The symptoms are as follows.

1.  I have had no upgrades when when I run "aptitude update, aptitude
upgrade" since sarge went stable.

2.  When trying to install a package from the command line using
aptitude install <package> I get a "No installation cantidate" error.
example:

violator:~# aptitude search apt-file
p   apt-file                                   - APT package searching
utility -- command-line interf

violator:~# aptitude install apt-file
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No candidate version found for apt-file
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.

The same happens using apt-get.

3.  When using the gui in aptitude, when I search for a package I can
see the package but in the version colums I see <none> <none>.  But if I
double click the package with the mouse I can see a version number in
the section "Versions/" and if I double click that version number it
will then appear in the version colums.  This causes problems when a
package needs to install dependencies because the dependencies do not
have a version number until until I do the doulble click, select version
process.

My sources.list

deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib

Does anybody have any advice on how to fix this ?

Many thanks in advance.