free java (was Re: Sun JRE, JSDK and J2EE on debian=

Thomas Weinbrenner schrieb:

> There is a better way to create java packages than alien. Use the
> "java-package"
>
>http://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/java-package
>
>Just download the self-extracting file from Sun and use:
>
> make-jpkg j2re-1_4_2_08-linux-i586.bin

Sorry for getting OT, but as it somehow seems to fit: I'm currently into
excessive usage of apache tomcat for several web/java related things
(lenya, soap,...), running atop Debian using the SUN JDK. Somehow I feel
it would be a better approach to get my machines using
free-as-in-free-speech java, but I'm not yet that familiar with free
java implementations and tool chains. So...

(*) ... will apache tomcat work with any Java environment which is not
SUN or Blackdown?
(*) ... can anyone point me way to a good tutorial learning how to tie
all those things together?

TIA and bye,
Kris

--
Kristian Rink 	-- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden