Re: Cellular Data Service

Rhomboid wrote:
Anyone have a working laptop/cellular phone (or cellular wifi card) combination running on Linux on a US provider (Cingular/Verizon EDGE network or similar)?

It's slow, but the Sony GC79 combo 802.11b and GSM card works okay. I use one on T-mobile's network. 56K down, 28K up max.

GSM acts like a regular old modem to pcmcia, and you feed it odd dialing strings that I found documented online. 802.11b is working with ndiswrapper and the windows driver.

Someone asked me recently if I'd done any work to figure out how to get special information out of it on the GSM side like signal strength. Nope. Sorry. Not sure if anyone has yet or not.

Nate