Re: sarge and software patents

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 08:05:22PM +0200, Guillaume TESSIER wrote:
Steve Block wrote:

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 07:05:33PM +0200, Guillaume TESSIER wrote:

Guillaume TESSIER wrote:

The release of sarge stable just comes up some weeks before European Union could vote for extented patentability of software.

I guess a lot of packages from sarge are made from gnu projects that could be really endanger.

If some projects are attacked by lawyers and have to close down, what happen to the current packages made from these apps?

Does sarge just got released to let people have the last chance to get a decent debian distribution?

This sucks

The succes of this post is amazing!

This was posted 20 hours ago. And no one replied to it.

Consternation.

"What is this dude doing? politics in a debian mailing list?"
If i had posted something like "kernel panic while rebooting", "VLC can't read avi", "xine doesn't work", "samba : how to mount windows network share?", "how to mount ntfs ?". I would have had lot's of replies......

But patents aren't really about software? Uh?

I guess there is some european debian users here : you're concerned more than ever. Your favorite system, your favorite apps, your skills and future jobs are in danger.

Why spend time getting more skills on a system which might die?

Why be a fear-monger? We have software patents in the US but debian
hums happily along.

Also insulting the list that you want discussion from won't win you many
friends.

It could "hums" much less in Europe with software patents.
This would be a huge defeat.

Please keep replies on the list.

--
Steve Block