Re: Movie players [SOLVED]

Martin McCormick wrote:
Piero Piutti writes:

All you need is mplayer, the w32codecs and mozilla-mplayer (aka mplayerplug-in). It will work as a charm: tested with the Quicktime trailers on Apple's website.

	I second that.  I installed  MPlayer-1.0pre7 and the codecs
directory that one should also install and am amazed how well it
works.

Progress report. Thank you all for the suggestions and info. After some research and reading I installed vlc. The reasons are as follows.

(1) The Computer Lab Committee has mandated that nothing be installed from any source other than the Debian repositories unless it is a critical need and can only be obtained from "outside".

    (2) mplayer is not available in the Debian repository.

    (3) Totem is installed and, as far as I can tell, it's a GUI for xine.

(4) VLC appears to be another one of those projects working toward being an "every Linux distro" standard, like ALSA. I thought it was worthwhile to work with it as well as xine. After all, Linux is about choice.

Jim