Re: sarge and kvm-switch

On 6/29/2005, "andreas.sumper@nimbus.at" <andreas.sumper@nimbus.at>
wrote:

>Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote on 28/06/2005 01:10:05 PM:
>
>> andreas.sumper@nimbus.at on 28/06/05 11:12, wrote:
>> > Now I installed sarge on the second box, but from now on, I can no
>> > longer switch from one system to the other, without loosing my
>keyboard.
>> > Whenever I do, I have to reboot the system and leave the switch on
>that
>> > system to make my keyboard work again. But this is not, how I can use
>my
>> > systems.
>>
>> I can't offer you any solutions, but as a work-around, rather than
>> rebooting, have you tried removing the keyboard cable from the KVM and
>> replacing it?
>
>I tried replacing the cable.

I know this used to be a common problem, but I was not aware that newer
KVM systems had this problem.  IIRC from conversations past, you want
electronic KVM switches, not mechanical ones, so they can fake a
keyboard/mouse.

However, I've had not problems with my relatively new KVM switch.  I was
under the impression that these problems have largely gone away over the
years.  But I do get a "lost signal" message a lot, but that's a
power saving "feature" that is remedied by pressing [shift]