Re: debian sources to deb binaries.Risk of corrupting the file system?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 04:19:38PM -0700, nuno romano wrote:
> When we build a binary debian .deb package from debian
> sources,for example with the debuild command of the
> devscripts package,is there the danger of change in
> the file system?For example with rpm there is a
> BuildRoot situated in /var/tmp where rpm temporarily
> installs all files of the binary package created,
> according to their place in the filesystem,previously
> to actually create the binary .rpm package,then the
> "real" file system is not affected.
> What happens with the building of binary .deb packages
> from debian sources?The fakeroot package does not seem
> to do exactly that(temporary storage before the
> assembling of the binary).

To answer your question, no.  It would make debuild next to useless if
there was a danger of trashing the file system.  It will temporarily
install the files under the debian/ directory of the package source.
Besides, you should really be using pbuilder for building packages to be
deployed.  Check out my package customization HOWTO for details:

http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr/?page=debcustomize

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez