Re: X Window problem after woody --> sarge upgrade

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 08:27:43AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> >BUT -- now X is shot. If I try to start X either using
> >GDM or startx, it starts up but then... my monitor
> >goes into power saving mode!!! And nothing can get it
> >to come out of it other than Ctrl-Alt-F1, login as
> >root (without being able to see what I am doing) then
> >shutdown -r now... Even Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc doesn't work...
> >

> If GDM starts, then the X server is functioning. So the problem must be
> with your window manager/environment. Try something simple, like icewm
> or fluxbox, and let us know the results.
>
> --
> Kent

Does your monitor shut off before or after you try to log in.
I had lots of trouble when I used xdm.  I switched to gdm, and still
had trouble.  But the nice thing about gdm is that I can specify what
window manager to use each time I log in.  This allows me to experiment,

I hand-upgraded icewm and gdm, and then icewm worked.
I never got KDE to work, though.

-- hendrik