X Window problem after woody --> sarge upgrade

Hi

I recently (last week) upgraded from woody to sarge
using aptitude. First off much to my surprise X
windows appeared to survive the upgrade although my
KDE was shot.

Removing and re-installing GDM (which I use to launch
X) solved that problem. However over the following
days it gradually became apparent to me that a ton of
packages had been "held back" by aptitude -- including
x-window-system and a ton of libraries.

To try and solve this, this evening I did a U in
aptitude interactively and then did an aptitude
install to upgrade the held-back packages. This
completed successfully.

BUT -- now X is shot. If I try to start X either using
GDM or startx, it starts up but then... my monitor
goes into power saving mode!!! And nothing can get it
to come out of it other than Ctrl-Alt-F1, login as
root (without being able to see what I am doing) then
shutdown -r now... Even Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc doesn't work...

Now I'm going to try the lists' collective patience by
not supply config files / logs etc. Unfortunately the
only Linux mail program I have running at the moment
runs under X...... So I am having to run this from
Windows from where I can't see the Linux partitions
(same machine...) I can tell you though that I didn't
see anything in the XF86.log file in /var/log that
looked odd, nor in ~/.xession-errors (no errors at all
there, a couple of missing modules, specifically pex5
and xie, in the former).

If I can figure out a way to get log files etc to this
list I will do so. In the meantime let me know what
would be useful. My XF86Config-4 hasn't changed with
the upgrade.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone and can
anyone suggest a solution.

X was working perfectly before the upgrade. And after
the upgrade but before I upgraded the held-back packages.