Re: [Fwd: Re: I cannot get my X reasonably configured] - problem solved / thanks everyone for the help

Kent West wrote:

I guess not.  But I'd like to know what the name of the right tool is...?

Unless the file has been manually tweaked, "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86" or "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common" is probably what
you want, depending on which part of X you're reconfiguring.

I actually just ran something Phil Hughes dug up called dexconf, which is probably part of the sequence you suggest above, and after also inserting the correct mouse device into the correct file I got things going. I don't know if it was the former, the latter, or both actions that got me there, but my workstation has a completely reasonably looking desktop at this point.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Sincerely, Xeno

--
Xeno Campanoli, xeno@eskimo.com, http://www.eskimo.com/~xeno
Pride before justice      equals destabilization.