Re: [Fwd: Re: I cannot get my X reasonably configured]

Xeno Campanoli wrote:

> I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.  I get X up, but it only displays as this
> grainy mess with three 2inch icons.  Nothing I've done with xf86config

I haven't uses "xf86config" in years. Is it still a valid tool?

> xeno@joehill:~$ lspci
> 0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated
> Graphics D

So, you have an Intel 8xxx integrated chipset. That probably means
you'll need to go into the computer's BIOS and make sure the video RAM
is set to something larger than 1 MB.

>> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>> (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
>> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
>
> That doesn't make any sense, because The mouse works.

My suspicion it that you're tinkering with the older, "not generally
used anymore except by those who know what they're doing", "XF86Config"
file. Newer versions of X use "XF86Config-4". When you start X, it's
reading the -4 file, and ignoring the tinkering you've been doing.

/dev/input/mice is, I believe, included as a possible mice in the
default XF86Config-4 file as configured by Debian nowadays. There may be
another mouse section also, which is reading your mouse.

>   The main symptom is I get a grainy configuration (2 inch icons) and
> no matter what I change, it doesn't change the sizing.  There is
> something regarding the configuration, perhaps that it won't talk to
> the video chipset which is on the motherboard, that just won't let X
> come up as anything but this grainy worthless thing with three 2 inch
> icons.  Here is my XF86config (excuse me for including all of it):
> xeno@joehill:~$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config

See if you have an "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" file.

--
Kent