Re: APT can't recognize Packages.gz?

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 04:29 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:53:25PM -0500, Mr Mike wrote:
>
> > I'm learning a little something new about apt and dpkg and the like
> > every day here in this list...  But I have a question about this one.
> >
> > I have a directory full of *.deb files that may OR maynot have been
> > installed already with dpkg -i <package>.deb and their info is already
> > in the apt database.  ie:  they show up in synaptic and apt-cache show
> > whatever
>
> So you have done an apt-get update.
>
> > Can I still use dpkg-scansources and add them (ie: the Packages.gz) to
> > my sources list?  OR... would I have to uninstall then reinstall via the
> > newly created source?
> >
> > mr mike
> > houston, tx
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> dpkg-scansources - search for '.dsc' files and build the 'Sources'
> index. That's for source packages not binary.
>
> You are getting some of the terminology mixed up. The sources.list file
> "tells" apt where to get *all* packages from. To get binary, you start a
> line with deb, to get source you start a line with deb-src.

Yup...  a typo...  I actually did scanpackages, not scansources

> 'apt-get update' updates the Packages.gz for source and binary depending
> on your deb and deb-src lines in your sources.list file.
> Is that machine hooked up to the net?
>
> I would cd (as root) to /directory/where/*debs/are then
> apt-get update (just in case ;-)

So..  running apt-get update in a dir full of binary *.deb package files
creates a source for them?  Why do you need dpkg-scanpackages then to
greate the Packages.gz file?

> dpkg -i *deb then
> rm *deb (unless you want to keep them, but why would you? :-)

> You know about apt-cache?

somewhat...  I use it generally as apt-cache show <package> or
apt-cache dump etc..  but I havent' gotten around to 'policy' yet..

> $ man apt-cache
> $ apt-cache policy gs
> gs:
>   Installed: 6.53-3
>   Candidate: 8.01-5
>   Version Table:
>      8.01-5 0
>         500 http://debian.attica.net.nz stable/main Packages
>  *** 6.53-3 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> You could go through each of the debs in that directory and see if it is
> installed. Also an 'apt-cache show gs' will indicate similar info.

I'm pretty much up on which ones are installed..  if not I use the which
command to see if the executable is installed (providing of course I
know what it is <g>)

> Why are you playing with dpkg-scansources? I've never played with it,
> *ever*.

me either..  <as per my admitted typo>  I do compile a lot of packages
but I havent yet learnt :-) the debian way.  Seems I saw a post on that
in this list and meant to save it or print it out but was busy and ...
well, you know how that goes..

> If that machine is not hooked up to the net and you are messing round
> with floppies you will quickly get frustrated confused and bewildered.
> Get a CD.
>
> I've found 'Setting up Linux' is like climbing a brick wall where you
> have to dig out hand and foot holes *BUT* when you get into the 'garden'
> it is very worthwhile :-), you never know what you might find growing
> there ... then you come to another brick wall, sometimes its even
> greasy. :-( You can even change the 'garden' to how you like it.
>
> I won't deningrate the other OS(s) by saying ... there is a red carpet
> with a devil holding a pair of handcuffs standing at a gold plated door
> which can only be unlocked with a large sum of money.
>
> OOPS, bad analogy, I don't mean BSD.
>
> --
> Chris.
> ======

While it's more than just a LITTLE old, I prefer the analogy to an
onion..  You peel one layer and just to expose 'yet another' one ...

Thanks for the feedback...  I'm off to google about how to use local
debian sources.  For instance, once you have one with, say, 59 files,
how do you add another one to the Packages file?  Conversely, how do you
remove one?  I'll save those questions for the list just in case I can't
seem to find adequate answers elsewhere...