Re: APT can't recognize Packages.gz?

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 14:56 +0100, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 Jun 2005 14:51, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> > I added the "debs file:///home debs/" line to my sources.list file.
> >
> > However, I am getting this error when I start Synaptic, which has me
> > puzzled:
> >
> > "W: Couldn't stat source packages list file: debs/ Packages
> > (/var/apt/lists/__home_debs_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or
> > directory)"
>
> This error just means that it hasn't got a package list yet.  Run apt-get
> update, or just choose to update from synaptic.
>
> --
> Lee.
>
> Please do not CC replies directly to me.  I'll read them on the list.

I'm learning a little something new about apt and dpkg and the like
every day here in this list...  But I have a question about this one.

I have a directory full of *.deb files that may OR maynot have been
installed already with dpkg -i <package>.deb and their info is already
in the apt database.  ie:  they show up in synaptic and apt-cache show
whatever

Can I still use dpkg-scansources and add them (ie: the Packages.gz) to
my sources list?  OR... would I have to uninstall then reinstall via the
newly created source?

mr mike
houston, tx