Re: Finding the origin of a package installed by APT

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 01:50:07PM -0400, Marty wrote:
> I suppose that if you include in sources.list to the old
> distribution archive repositories (which I think goes at least as
> far back as slink) then any packages which still aren't recognized
> are presumably from a third party repository.

The main reason I would like to do this is for third-party
repositories, in particular, backports. The problematic packages are
from backports which have subsequently disappeared. I would like to be
able to identify these, remove the ones I am worried about, and find
an alternative. Here the original repository may still exist, but be
obsolete, or it may have been removed completely. In the latter case,
maintaining the repository won't help, since APT will delete the file
when it sees that the source is gone.

Thank you,
Steven Murdoch.

--