Re: X Font size

Hello

Nikolai Hlubek (<nikolai.hlubek@mailbox.tu-dresden.de>) wrote:

> The font size shouldn't be changed by changing the dpi as dpi means
> dots per inch and that is fixed by your monitor. Instead you should
> change the font size through kcontrol and gnome-control-center.

That's true, unfortunately, depending on your hardware and the way you
start XFree, it may use a wrong dpi value. In that case the first thing
that should be changed before changing the font sizes is the dpi value.
If you start XFree using xdm or startx, it will for example always use
the default setting of 100 dpi (configured in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc)
If you remove the 100dpi option, Xfree tries to calculate the dpi value
according to the display size, but with certain hardware combinations
Xfree cannot get the necessarity information from the monitor (I think
Nvidia cards are notorious for non-working DDC). In that case you
should set the DisplaySize option manually in your XF86Config-4.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976