Re: About blackdown

Tong wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:01:56 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible

I've noticed that many of the answers for this thread suggest to avoid the
blackdown. Any justification for that?
The reason I'm asking is that I asked a similar question a while ago, and
got a suggest to use blackdown. I was just about to give it a try.

Here are the quotes from the original suggest:

,-----
| I am using blackdown j2re1.4, it works.
| | [...] | | the blackdown j2re1.4 works perfectly fine, but it's not DFSG free software
| due to licensing conditions imposed by Sun.
| | There are other projects to create a real free software java platform, but
| they are not finished yet.
| | [...] | | The sun system is a reasonable alternative, but if I understand correctly it's
| essentially the same as the blackdown system anyway, blackdown port java to
| linux for Sun (and us).  And it's packaged for debian...
`-----

Thanks

I believe that the blackdown VM was used as the basis for the first VM on Linux but that was a few years ago now and things have moved on. The blackdown VM is still being updated AFAIK but isn't at 1.5 levels yet (after you have used generics you wouldn't want to go back). You could probably use blackdown for web development but I doubt you could use it for gui work.

Graham