Re: dselect and a Recent Experience

Oliver Elphick writes:
>Does your /etc/apt/sources.list reference woody or stable?
>
>They used to be the same, but now there is a new stable, sarge.  So if
>you reference stable, a lot of your packages are now regarded as
>obsolete.  You should either reference woody explicitly or do a complete
>upgrade (recommended!) using the instructions in the release notes at
>http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html

	Excellent question that hadn't even occurred to me!  Here's the
important lines in sources.list

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

	That's probably the problem right there.  I also had

 deb http://www.carezia.eng.br/debian woody main

	This was for a modified version of snort which worked well on
my system at the office, but never quite worked right on the home
system so I took that source out of the sources.list at home about 6
or 7 months ago.  Both systems swarmed on me in the same way so I
think you hit the nail on the head.  The system at home is probably
now safely upgraded since I whacked the whole OS and started from
scratch with the newest Debian netinstall CD.

	I should make sure the work system gets upgraded soon and that
will probably make dselect safe to use again.

	Many thanks.