Re: dselect and a Recent Experience

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 12:06 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	Today, here at work, I was going to install bittorrent on ta
> Debian system and I used dselect to list the packages in order to find
> bittorrent.  It found it and I started to install from there except I
> saw that dselect was also going to whack about the same number of
> packages here that it did when I was on my system at home.  Both are
> very stable woody-installed systems.

Does your /etc/apt/sources.list reference woody or stable?

They used to be the same, but now there is a new stable, sarge.  So if
you reference stable, a lot of your packages are now regarded as
obsolete.  You should either reference woody explicitly or do a complete
upgrade (recommended!) using the instructions in the release notes at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/index.en.html

Oliver Elphick