Re: Setting up a Java development environment the debian way.

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 05:17 am, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Ms Linuz writes:
> > Alan Chandler wrote:

> >>So my questions are:
> >>
> >>1) What tools do I need to develop the application.   This includes code
> >>editiing, build environment, unit testing, I tried to setup eclipse on my
> >>workstation but there are unsatisfied dependencies (java runtime?).
> >
> > Netbeans : http://www.netbeans.org
> > the best java ide i see so far

> >>Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible
>
> Netbeans is not a debian package.  It might be interesting to look at it,
> but what is the debian way?

I'm not sure you can do development for web apps in the true Debian way.
While some progress has been made in some GUI classes in FOSS implementations
of Java, I don't think any FOSS implementations include the ones you'll need
to create the components you'll need for an applet.  I could be wrong on
this, so if I am I hope someone will correct me.

There was a discussion within the past few weeks about how to install Java (as
in Sun's Java) in the Debian way, and it is possible to make it into a
package, as it would be to do the same with Netbeans.  If you search the
archives for Java, you should find it in the posts over the last month or so.

Hal