Re: DHCP problem where ip address is assigned to wrong NIC on reboot

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 05:32:01PM -0700, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
| I got a real whacky one.  This old machine I've got has two NICs, and during
| install I assign eth1 to be the one used, and it gets the ip address from
| DHCP.  Well, after the reboot, that same IP address is assigned to eth0, and
| I get no network.  I've solved this by switching the cable over and rebooting,
| but it sounds like a bug, so I thought I'd mention it.  The machine I'm running
| is an old thing with 92 meg of memory, but presumably it's not the memory that
| is confusing DHCP, but just the two NICS.  Perhaps nobody has two NICs anymore?

I have two NICs in several machines.  The only time I've seen anything
similar is when the system doesn't detect the cards in the same order
each time it boots and so the cards are assigned the labels 'eth0' and
'eth1' different.

In that case, the solution is simple:  install the 'ifrename' package,
read the documentation, and create a suitable /etc/iftab file.  Using
this approach you can assign the NICs meaningful names (ie 'lan' or
'wan' or whatever)  based on the MAC address (or base I/O for ISA
cards).  This ensures that the cards are identified properly,
regardless of how many you have and which one(s) are available at boot
time and what order the kernel loads the driver(s) for them.  Then you
use this meaningful name in all your configuration files and can be
assured the correct NIC will be used.

HTH,
-D

--