Re: SoundCard Problem

dmesg shows:
i810: SiS found at IO:0x9000 0x9400..........
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels
i810_audio: defaults to 2 channel mode
i810_audio: resetting connection 0

Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com>

22/06/2005 10:24 AM

        To:        debian-user@lists.debian.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: SoundCard Problem

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 07:31 pm, ankur.kumar@axa.com.au wrote:
> alsa wasn't installed, I got it installed and ran "alsaconf".
>
> It couldn't find any PCI or any other driver. I got integrated sound card
> with motherboard.
> That could be the reason.
>
> Tried 'cat /etc/sndstat' , but doesn't display anything.
>
> Checked '/etc/modules.conf', alsa has put alsa-related sound card aliases
> into it.
>
> When I try 'Music Player' from GNOME desktop, it says 'Nothing at
> /dev/dsp'
>
> In past, I used 'modconf' and in sound drivers section, I tried putting
> other drivers e.g. Yamaha,Intel or others and it didn't complain that it
> couldnt find sound card, then when I tried playing music, it was not
> giving any error rather there was no sound.
>
> ALSA project page wasn't display my sound card driver. What can I do
> now????
>
> here is lspci result...
> 0000:00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> Sound Controller (rev a0)
>

> Jonathan Kaye <jonathan.kaye@univie.ac.at>
> Sent by: news <news@sea.gmane.org>
> 21/06/2005 05:32 PM
>

>         To:     debian-user@lists.debian.org
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Re: SoundCard Problem
>
> En/La ankur.kumar@axa.com.au ha escrit, a 21/06/05 03:53:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using Debian Sarge and trying to configure sound card, which is an
> > integrated one with ASUS motherboard (ASUS
> > SiS661FX/SiS963L/W697-P4S800MX (PGA 478)).
> >
> > Sound card:     SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
> >
> > I downloaded ALSA and configured it (using ./configure), but when doing
> > "make" it says "ALSA is already in Linux Kernel".
> >
> > I don't know how can I configure ALSA in Debian now??
> >
> > Please help....
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ankur
>
> Run
> $lspci and see which audio controller you have. I have an asus board
> also and my controller is:
> 0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
>
> As root, run alsaconf. Does it find your card? If you don't have
> alsaconf you need to

> #aptitude install alsa-utils
> then run alsaconf. If all goes well then run
> $alsamixer
> and make sure the setting are to your liking.
> If alsaconf can't find your card go to the Alsa Project drivers page and
> make sure it's supported and which driver it needs.
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

Do you have hotplug installed? It should automatically detect your soundcard's
module and load it at boot.

--
Ryan Schultz
-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber