secure apache in debian

I know that this might not be entirely on-topic however:

What is the best way to secure an entire site in apache?  I have 3.1 r0 and
have installed the apache package.  Basically I want 1 user to be able to
access any directory or folder that exists now or will ever exist in the
future in the /var/www path.

Is there a guide somewhere that shows this?  I have tried following some
.htaccess examples however they don't appear to block *everything* without a
separate file for each directory.