Re: Good backup software for Linux

On Monday 20 June 2005 11:21, Siju George wrote:
> On 6/20/05, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 12:36 +0300, kalasala wrote:
> > > http://www.amanda.org/
> >
> > Well, Amanda is really for backing up multiple servers to a single
> > archiving device isn't it? As the original poster didn't state what he
> > wanted backed up I presume it's a desktop machine.
>
> Thanks simon for asking :-)
>
> I have a Sarge installed that I would want to run as a backup server.
> this server will take backups from other Linux/BSD/Solaris/MS Windows
> systems. The backup will be stored on hard disk (mirrored) for now but
> later it will be taken to DVDs.
>
> kind regards
>
> Siju
The description above of Amanda is nearly right, if you change the
word servers on the first line to systems.  It works perfectly well with
desktops, less well with laptops but still can be used.

There are clients for Amanda which will work on all the systems you
name, and the server (last time I looked) had to run on Linux so you are
in good shape.

David