Ext hd trouble

I got a maxtor onetouch allso I got a pretty new p4 comp and at third I got a real mystery.In fedora c3 or even in extix (exton knoppix) witch is based on debian like I have "sarge" it is no trouble at all to recognize my camera or mp3 player or then the maxtor usb drive,,,,it just pop up in /devices!!! no mounting no scripts nore a thing at all,,,,but not in my new installation with the 2.6 kernel or the 2.4 even what is missing??? not hotplug cause I got that or fat support got that too