console font corruption w/ 2.6.12/xfree86/voodoo3

I just upgraded my kernel to 2.6.12, and installed an old 3dfx Voodoo3
video card, and when I switch from X to a VC, my fonts get corrupted a
bit.  I end up with all my '4' characters replaced with some odd symbol.
I may have seen other characters replaced by '.' as well.

A 'consolechars -d' corrects the issue until the next time I switch to X
and back.

I've unfortunately changed the kernel and the video card at the same
time, so I'm not positive what caused it.  Before exhaustively switching
back out hardware and kernels, I thought I'd ask here, to see if
anyone's seen this behavior.

Thanks.
--
John M Flinchbaugh