Re: XServer Randomly restarting

Mr Mike wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:50:52 -0400
>Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Saturday 18 June 2005 11:57 pm, Mr Mike wrote:
>>

>>>A while back I was running a pure sarge system with several upgrades from
>>>the sid branch..  At some point my X Server began to 'restart' on it's own
>>>for no real apparent rhyme or reason.  ie, the action that triggered the
>>>restart one session could not always be duplicated in another one...
>>>Simple things like clinking the 'x' to close the window or clicking the
>>>background to bring up a menu.  Like I said, really random and
>>>unpredictable.  I've looked in xsession error log, syslog, messages, etc..
>>>and NOT a damn thing...  it's as if some invisible soul is lurking over my
>>>shoulder and pressing ctl+alt+bkspace every now and then just to piss me
>>>off...  One good thing to come of this is I've learned to save my work much
>>>more frequently...
>>>
>>>Anyway...  I'm now running a mixed ubuntu/sarge (mostly sarge) box and the
>>>issue remains although not as bad as in the past.  Is there some way I can
>>>figure out what in the world is causing this so I can formulate a
>>>resolution?  Or, is there something else I should look at, like hardware
>>>problems?
>>>
>>>TIA..
>>>mike..
>>>houston, tx
>>>

>>Binary nVidia drivers with ' Option  "RenderAccel"   "true" '
>>in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, by any chance? I've seen it cause almost identical
>>behavior in the past...
>>
>>--
>>Ryan Schultz
>>-> floating point exception: divide by cucumber
>>

>Thanks Ryan, I wasnt' sure if i was using binary driver for video card or not..  took a look at xconfig and this is it..
>
>Section "Monitor"
>        Identifier      "GATEWAY VX900"
>        HorizSync       30-95
>        VertRefresh     50-160
>        Option          "DPMS"
>EndSection
>
>Search didn't turn up RenderAccel anywhere in the file either...

That's the "Monitor" section. Ryan's suggesting you look at the "Device"
section, like so:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Rage 128"
        Driver          "ati"
        BusID           "PCI:01:0:0"
EndSection

If you have an nVidia card, your driver is likely to be either "nVidia"
or "nv" (IIRC) rather than an "ati" (or something else) as in the above
case.

--
Kent