Re: Setting IP address not working

On Thursday 16 June 2005 07:48, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 June 2005 22:12, Kent West wrote:
>
> > I can't understand why your /etc/network/interfaces file is being
> > ignored. It makes no sense to me. Maybe the permissions on the file?
>
> It is not being ignored - the ifupdown script is using it, but getting the
> error message back from the kernel (I think that is what the "RTNETLINK
> answers" message is about.

I am getting to the crux of the problem now.  I think its a bug in the
ifupdown program.

If I do

/etc/init.d/networking stop
ifup -a

then it fails to bring up eth0 properly

If I do

/etc/init.d/networking stop
dhclient eth0

then the interface is brought up properly.

Since /etc/networking/interfaces has

iface eth0 inet dhcp

then something seems wrong with ifup!

--