Setting IP address not working

I am having a strange problem setting my ip address on my only (eth0) ethernet connection. If I use either a static or dhcp iface stanza in /etc/network/interfaces it fails.
Here is the output from the dhcp version.
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client 2.0pl5
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:50:da:cf:a5:06
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:50:da:cf:a5:06
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.0.20
SIOCSIFADDR: File exists
bound to 192.168.0.21 -- renewal in 10800 seconds.
RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

a) Reference to device sit0 - where did this come from
b) What is this error message?   "SIOCSIFADDR: File exists"
c) RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

The ip address I end up with is 169.254.50.3 (which I am guessing is some default in the device driver code). But I can't see what I am doing wrong. Any advice to get more info, or even to fix it? (I am running Debian Unstable)

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk