Re: a NIC gone bad.

Marc Jackson wrote:
I'm running 2.4. Using the alternate intel driver.  The becker driver
didn't seem to work.

You don't mention any trouble shooting.  Where's this "network guy"
you speak of (that is, when he's not putting blocks on wall jacks?)

Does the behavior I wrote about, seem indicative of a bad driver?
If so, I would expect consistent behavior and I'm not getting that.

Some linux NIC drivers have primitive autonegotiation algorithms and
vendor drivers tend to be more sophisticated and handle some corner
cases better.  NICs don't tend to "go bad."  You may have network
or cable problems instead.