Re: Is 'rename' missing or is it just me?

Paul Johnson writes:
> I can't recall 'rename' being a command anywhere but MS-DOS.

RENAME(1)           Perl Programmers Reference Guide            RENAME(1)

NAME
       rename - renames multiple files

SYNOPSIS
       rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ]

DESCRIPTION "rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule
       specified as the first argument.  The perl- expr argument is a Perl
       expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at
       least some of the filenames specified.  If a given filename is not
       modified by the expression, it will not be renamed.  If no filenames
       are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard
       input.
--
John Hasler