Re: smaller fonts on boot

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:29:21 +0200
Michal Simovic <miso_sim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> hi, i would like to ask if there is a way to get smaller fonts on boot
> (and in console) different from editing lilo.conf (as i am using grub
> and want to continue in doing so :))
> has grub any such configuring option(i succesfully made the boot menu to
> show a splash image in the background) or is there another way of
> achvieving this?
>
> ps:
> my console already uses graphical mode, so i don't need to solve this.
> i don't want to use Bootsplash from http://www.bootsplash.org, i would
> like get along without it.
> thanks much
> --
> miso

Test these vga modes from the grub commandline to see which ones work.  you can then put vga=??? as a kernel cmd line option.  On my system, vga=791 (1024x768) lets me see almost all the boot output on a line by line item..  Nice for validation that the boot process is working as planned.. <g>
VGA modes for boot loader (ie, vga=??)
ex: vga=785 would be 640x480 resolution
with 16bit 65000 colors

                      640 800 1024 1280