replacing a NIC

Hello,

We had a 3com NIC go bad and replaced it with and Intel card.

I'm noticing odd behavior.  The kernel/NIC runs a self-test and
says that it's up in 100 Full Duplex mode.  [ This is good. ]
I try to ping some sites to verify and I get 100% packet loss.
I did ping to the broadcast address and machines on the
LAN responded. [ This is good. ]  Then I could ping www.cisco.com.
[ This is very good. ]  A day later, I can't get out to any machines
on the LAN or on the internet. As a test, I went back and did a ping
to the broadcast address.  No other machines responded this time.

I have the feeling that some network guy, put a block on the wall jack ...

Thoughts?

Regards,

Marc