Re: How to install on SATA drives?

Quoting Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com>:

I don't think so.  The computer on which I most recently installed Debian
has an IDE CD/DVD-writer (which I still can't get to write at a decent
speed, but that's a different problem) and a SATA HDD.  I booted the Debian
testing installer CD (this was just over a month ago, before the new
stable) and it basically couldn't find the HDD.  I don't remember the exact
error message now, but I tried 2.6 option, which worked.  It didn't lose
the CD.

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago too.
I was using my DVDRW on a sata-->IDE cable. The installer couldn't find
the drive. I changed the cable back to a regular IDE cable, and plugged it into the IDE Controller. Then, the installer found it. Also, I make sure my SATA drives don't live in the IDE channels. (via the bios) Keep your Primary Master, Primary slave, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave clear of SATA drives. (if possible). Only keep your ide devices in there.
This made things alot easier for me.

Cheers,
Mike