Re: How to install on SATA drives?

John Plate wrote:

> Hi Adam
>
>> > How do I make a new installation CD with those modules included? The
>> > modules are included in the 2.4.47 (and later) kernel.
>>
>> I solved it by entering the a 2.6 kernel option at the installer's boot
>> prompt.
>
> I tried that. I can see the first SATA drive with dmesg, but now it
> cannot see the CD drive that I booted from :(
>
> With the standard boot (2.4.47) this is not a problem.
>
> As far as I can see, the 2.6 boot process cannot find the IRQs for the
> ide devices. Have you had a similar problem?

I don't think so.  The computer on which I most recently installed Debian
has an IDE CD/DVD-writer (which I still can't get to write at a decent
speed, but that's a different problem) and a SATA HDD.  I booted the Debian
testing installer CD (this was just over a month ago, before the new
stable) and it basically couldn't find the HDD.  I don't remember the exact
error message now, but I tried 2.6 option, which worked.  It didn't lose
the CD.

So in summary: sorry, I can't help!