Re: Getting the hang of APT....

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:14:06PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> The maintainer puts the dependency information in the package when he
> creates it.  When the package is uploaded that information is taken from
> the package and added to the Packages file.

Sounds logical.

> > According to the list this package depends on zope.  According to my
> > zope-mysqlda.deb it depends on zope2.7. On my home computer apt-get
> > dist-upgrade doesn't complain.
>
> Why would you expect it to?

I don't expect it to. But I don't expect my server to complain either,
but it does. :-/ Just a minor problem which I'll probably work out
someday.

At least you and Paul say the Packages file contains the info scraped
from the actual packages. And in case of conflicts between the two the
actual package is authorative. Thanks for clearing that up.

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill