Re: Getting the hang of APT....

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:05:56PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:00:31AM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> > I want to install package "X", does the "X" .deb contain the
> > dependency information, or is there a list on my system somewhere? If
>
> Yes.

What do you mean? Yes, the X.deb contains the info? Or yes, there is a
list? Or both?

I think it is actually both. You don't have to download a package in
order to know what its dependencies are, so this info must be on some
list. I assume that is the Packages.gz file that you download when you
do an (apt-get|aptitude) update. But the dependencies for package X
are also listed in X.deb.

What happens if something goes wrong and there is a conflict between
the info in the list and in X.deb. For example, I did some very minor
tweaking to zope-mysqlda. According to the list this package depends
on zope. According to my zope-mysqlda.deb it depends on zope2.7. On my
home computer apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't complain. On a server I
administer with the same setup regarding to these packages it wants to
install zope. I know my tweaking should be done better, but what would
be considered the authorative source regarding to this dependency? The
list? Or the actual zope-mysqlda package? I think the package. Any
thoughts?

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill