Re: Ifconfig

Firslty, I'm not quite sure what you mean by the Top Post Thread Comment. I've not been paying attention to it. Should I? It seems it discusses the pros and cons of putting a post in a new E-Mail, or inserting it in to the last one. If this is so, which should I be doing?

Nexlty, I have High-Speed Internet which uses an Ethernet card and an out-side modem. Using pppoeconf both configures the ethernet card and starts a connection, which also starts on boot-up. Here is my interfaces file (with the added lo bits in astericks):

# The loopback network interface
*auto lo*
*iface lo inet loopback*
auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

As to the rest, I shall put it in a new thread and give my reply there.

As always, thanks in advance.

Kent West wrote:

Ag! You haven't been paying attention to the "Top Posting" thread, have you?

David R. Litwin wrote:

> I have tried to modify the interfaces file before. I added precisely
> what you told me to. It did not work. But, since I did a dist-upgrade
> from Sarge to Stable Sarge, the file change. I have re-added it:
> Perhaps it shall now work. Me hopes so.

If not, I think the next thing to do is to post the contents of your
"/etc/network/interfaces" file.

> As to the second thing, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Use the
> corresponding entry in /etc/network/interfaces to ONLY do it.",
> specifically the "corresponding entry" and the "to ONLY do it.".

He means you've done something else, as indicated by his question "Also,
maybe in future you can explain a little more how you got pppoeconf to
'set up my ifconfig'..."

I, myself, have no experience with pppoeconf, so I don't know one way or
the other.

> (As an aside, I recently did another apt-get update and apt-get
> upgrade, just to see if there was any thing new. It told me I had
> twenty-nine not upgraded. But, I just put in KDE 3.4.1. So, I did
> apt-get -V upgrade and each package says: (3.3.2-1 => 3.4.1-1). Does
> this mean it will upgrade from 3.3.2 to 3.4.1 or down-grade from 3.4.1
> to 3.3.2? Thanks.)

As this is a different topic, I would recommend a different thread.
Otherwise, people who aren't paying attention to the "ifconfig" thread
will never see your question.

It means you'll upgrade the 3.3.2-1 KDE to 3.4.1-1. What makes you
believe you've "just put in KDE 3.4.1"? Perhaps you've installed it from
a third-party source? In that case, you probably both the pure Debian
version of 3.3.2-1 and the third-party version of 3.4.1 installed; the
upgrade will make them both 3.4.1, and you'll then have two versions
sucking up space on your drive. Of course, I'm making assumptions here.
your answer to my question above will help enlighten me (and others,
particularly if you move this question to a new thread that deals with
upgrading instead of with "ifconfig").

--
—Moose Moose Jam Sausage Meow-Mix.
—My Hover-Craft is Full of Eels.