Re: Problems in linux software dev at enterprise level

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, shatam bhattacharya wrote:

> 1. Lack of linux awareness among the clients, generally the clients are
>    very hard to convince on TCO Vs legacy issues

I can't speak for India but I've had experience with clients and other
companies in many different countries (Australia, Canada, US, EU) over a
period of 11 years of using Linux and TCO has been widely recognised as
lower for a long time.  Linux has had a reputation for being cheap and
stable for a very long time.  This doesn't stop people making
unsubstantiated claims of course.

> 2. Lack of support from within the company for linux migration,
>    marketability etc.

This may well be a valud concern.  If you company decided to start using
Linux in client systems it needs in-house experience or support from a
company that does.

> 3. Lack of pool of skilled programmers in this domain etc. what I want
>    to ask over here is, 'Is there any systematic approach

Do they mean in the company or in the world?  If they mean in the world
they need to check their facts :)  I _do_ know that India has a lot of
experienced Linux developers as does every other country in the world.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.