Re: Request for window manager recommendations

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:42:02PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> The load time - at least to me - is a rather specious argument. Most
> people, I would think, would keep the WM up and running as long as the
> box is (personally, this box has been up for nearly four months, and I
> could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've
> restarted X/KDE). (I don't have or use a laptop, and I realize that
> wouldn't really apply to those people on laptops.)

    Not that it matters much.  My work laptop from about 3 years ago ran KDE
and I had 2 docks set up for it.  One at work, one at home.  So it was
rebooted twice a day except on weekends.  Walk into work, slide it into the
dock, turn it on, walk off to get my morning cup of cocoa/soda, by the time I
was back it was up.  *shrug*

    I liked that setup so much that when I moved on I kept the home dock
(bought it with my own funds) and purchased an identical laptop off of eBay.
It has served me well for 3 years though nowadays I run XFCE4 instead of KDE.
If I had a beefier laptop that I'd put Debian on[*] I'd run KDE again.

> I don't really like GNOME. That's just a personal feeling; I just find
> it a bit more "clunky" in comparison with KDE.

    I never liked why GNOME came about.  KDE was formed to make a decent
desktop for 'nixes.  GNOME was formed because people didn't like KDE's choice
of QT and wanted to kill it.  Odd sidenote, though, I prefer GTK to QT.