Re: Login as a root

puishor <puishor@gmail.com> wrote:

> every time when I start konsole , I get loging as usual user.

Yes, it's supposed to be that way.

> So... the question is what should i write in .bashrc (eventually plus
> the password) , so that konsole app would login me as a root user by
> default ?

Why on earth would you want to do this?

> I really need that, because I use linux as a desktop , on a single
> machine, so there is no need for any security issues ;I'm the only user
> and the only admin... so I do not need any user...

Same here - I am the only user of my laptop. Still, I really do not want
to do my normal work as root because of security. As normal user I don't
have the power to destroy the system and even more important - the
programs I run do not have root access - so an evil browser plugin or
Openoffice crash cannot harm the system. One of the reasons why viruses
and worms spread so quickly on Windows systems is that most users work
with administrator privileges.

If I need root access I use sudo (and less ofter su). And I really only
need to become root for things like system upgrades or configuration of
new hardware. So I don't see a problem having to type the password on
these rare occasions.

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel                           Tel.  +49-89-3187-3675
Institute for Bioinformatics / MIPS         Fax.  +49-89-3187-3585