Re: Disk Mirroring in Sarge howto

Thankyou so much Alvin for the detailed reply :-)

Could you please answer some of my doubts based on your feed back?

On 6/14/05, Alvin Oga <aoga@mail.linux-consulting.com> wrote:

> hi ya
>
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Siju George wrote:
>
> > I want to have the following partitions in both the hard disk
> >
> > / - 500 MB - Primary
>
> good
>
> > swap - 2 GB - Primary
>
> bad location ??  if it is partition#2

Yes its partition 2 . what would be an appropriate location???
I just followed the BSD way where swap (b) comes immediately after / (a).
What is appropriate for linux??

> > /usr - 5 GB - Primary
>
> ok

actually i won't have much aplications, so I think it must be a bit
large but its alright I think especialy if I get ideas later :-)

> > /home - 500 MB - Logical
>
> extreme bad idea if you have users

I have no users that need a home directory. This will be basically a
webserver (apache) and also a backup server. The webserver won't be up
most the time so infact this is going to be a dedicated backup server
that takes backups from Linux, MS Windows etc. I think of using bacula
for taking backup from linux and a smbclient,tar,rsync something for
taking backup from MS Windows

so I hope 500 MB is o.k??? or is it more??? :-)

> > /tmp - 5 GB - Logical
>
> extreme bad idea unless oyu have specific applications
> that will run that requires /tmp to be that big

What would you sugget??

> most apps uses less than 100mb of /tmp or /var/tmp or /usr/tmp

I see. Thankyou for letting me know. :-)

> > /var/log - 5 GB -logical
>
> wow .. you're collecting tons of log data ??
>         - how much data do you have now  in /var/log

last time I did't check but what would you suggest?? but I've noticed
increase upto 100 MB sometimes in a matter of two days.

> > /var - rest of the disk - logical
>
> extreme bad idea ... unless you have users
>
> - if you are intending to make a complete debian mirror
>   in /var/apt and equiv .. than it might be okay, but i'd
>   separate /var for users vs /var for system to keep itself running

Could you please explain this a little more to me?

> you cannot ever provide enough disk space for uwers or your own
> applications .. you will always run out of space ..
>
> some apps require /opt in which case / is too small

o.k I use on this system

Apache
PHP4
MySQL
Samba
Postfix
Qpopper
Bacula

thats it for now.

Do you suggets I create a seperate /opt partition??? if so how much size??

> > I prefer ext3 or ReiserFS for file systems.
>
> or xfs or jfs ..
>
> for disks that are say 500GB or more ... i'm not even gonna try
> using ext3 ...
>
> for partitions over 2TB ... its gonna be a fun testing game of
> which apps crash first because it used the wrong libs

I 've only used Ext3 till now because I heard data recover is
difficult in all others except ext2.

and also I understand that ReiserFS is better than XFS if the system
goes down suddenly due to power failure. Don't know much about JFS :-(

this hard disk is only 40 GB :-)

Thankyou so much once again for taking time to explain things to me :-)

good luck!

kind regards

Siju