Re: Top posting

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 01:41 am, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > Actually, they are not as objective as one would think.
>
>     Statement with no backup, gotta love it.

Gone through that statement several times in the thread.  I wrote a number of
times about differences between objective and subjective points of views.  If
you didn't see it, go back, find them, *then* decide whether there's no
backup.  I'm not going to repeat what I've already said in several posts.

> > Putting a few sentences together in reverse order is not a comparison to
> > top posting.
>
>     Yes, it is because that is exactly what top posting does.

Nope.  Different scale entirely. That's like saying re-arranging protons
within a nucleus of an atom does not change the atom, but if you have a group
of atoms, they can form different molecules with different properties
depending on their arrangement.

> > There are many reasons, in writing, to start with a conclusion.
>
>     This isn't one of them.  Generally when one starts with a conclusion
> one is not *replying* to someone else but is, in fact, giving a lecture.

That's your opinion, and it doesn't hold in all cases.

> > As to the "as /most/ points", I have yet to see anyone saying that show
> > that they have the least insight into learning and perception styles and
> > how different types of minds/personalities read and perceive information.
>
>     This isn't about how different minds/personalities read and perceive
> information.  It is about how things are done, why they are done that way
> and how one can LEARN to do it that way if one weren't lazy.

Actually it is.  I remember Harry Truman saying he never wanted to hear from
experts because all experts were people that didn't want to learn anything
more about their field, because if they did, they'd realize there was more to
learn and they weren't an expert anymore.  The point I am making, which you
are so quick to write off is that not all people learn and process data that
way.  It's not a point of being lazy.  It is a point that different people
learn and process in different ways.  We can be open to that, or we can be
closed minded about that.  And before you come back with something about it
being done only one way, go back and look over the history of science and
computers and see how many breakthroughs or advances were made by the people
who didn't think like everyeone else. Are we so good we should adopt policies
that discourage such people?

But I suppose the point here is that it is more important to set rules and
feel we are right than actually deal with life and people in that life as
they are.

Hal