Re: Newbie cannot start graphical desktop

--- Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> j Mak:
> > --- Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Then do 'aptitude install xserver-xfree86' (and
> yes,
> > > 86 not 89). I am
> > > very sure it's on the first CD.
> >
> > The ?aptitude install xserver-xfree86? command
> worked.
>
> Great.
>
> > Now i have x window and kde up and running.
> > But now i have other problems. I cannot use the
> text
> > editors because they cannot connect to the
> xserver.
>
> You are trying to use X programs as root? Then you
> need the package
> 'sux' (aptitude install sux) and use that instead of
> su to become root.
>
> > I also installed synaptic but i wont start.
>
> Start it from a console as root (see above) and post
> the output.
>
> > The Xfconfig4 badly configured my monitor. I just
> wonder, is it
> > possible to replace sarge's xfconfig4 with
> Knoppix?
>
> AFAIK that should work. Although the XF86Config is
> not too hard to
> understand and you'll probably need that knowledge
> anyway. You can also
> try running xf86cfg, it should ask you about your
> monitor.

Hi Jochen

Sux works great. I also replaced Sarge's xfconfig4
with Knoppix and my monitor  now perfectly configured.
Finally, everything works fine with Sarge . I would
like to thank for everyone who helped me in this
installation saga. I've learned a lot during the
process.

Debian community is the best.

Regards,
jozsefmak