Re: Newbie cannot start graphical desktop

j Mak:
> --- Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> >
> > Then do 'aptitude install xserver-xfree86' (and yes,
> > 86 not 89). I am
> > very sure it's on the first CD.
>
> The ?aptitude install xserver-xfree86? command worked.

Great.

> Now i have x window and kde up and running.
> But now i have other problems. I cannot use the text
> editors because they cannot connect to the xserver.

You are trying to use X programs as root? Then you need the package
'sux' (aptitude install sux) and use that instead of su to become root.

> I also installed synaptic but i wont start.

Start it from a console as root (see above) and post the output.

> The Xfconfig4 badly configured my monitor. I just wonder, is it
> possible to replace sarge's xfconfig4 with Knoppix?

AFAIK that should work. Although the XF86Config is not too hard to
understand and you'll probably need that knowledge anyway. You can also
try running xf86cfg, it should ask you about your monitor.

J.
--
If I was a supermodel I would give all my cocaine to the socially
excluded.