Re: How to capture bootup messages?

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 03:59:23PM -0400, John Kelly wrote:
> I used sysv-rc-conf to enable it, but it did not start.  Then I
> noticed its script checks BOOTLOGD_ENABLE in /etc/default/bootlogd
> before starting.
>
> Debian has a lot of knobs to turn; I see it will take some time to
> learn my way around.

Debian definitely does. As a general rule, though, it's worth
keeping in the back of your head that /etc/default contains
instructions on whether to start certain daemons at boot
time -- e.g., /etc/default/rsync contains an option on whether
to start rsyncd, or just to enable the client.

Knowing about /etc/default would have saved me a good deal of
time earlier on. Actually, I knew about it; it just didn't
register in my head. Keep it in yours, and all will be well.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org