Re: /etc/debian_version for Etch

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:37:09PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Jerome BENOIT writes:
> > what must /etc/debian_version contain for an Etch box ?
>
> Whatever you want it to say.  On this machine it says "testing/unstable".
> --

My test, doing a dist-upgrade on a Sarge system to move it to Etch, showed
that dist-upgrade does not change the contents of /etc/debian-version.
Also, the last modified date on /etc/debian-version is jul 26 2004, which
is the time when I originally installed Sarge on that machine.

My concern is what can this be used for? It is clearly not useful as a way
of finding out what is actually installed on the machine. If it is truly
whatever one wants to put there, then it is hardly useful to scripts,
which was suggested earlier as its use. So what is it for?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net