Re: Disk Mirroring in Sarge howto

I just tried to install Sarge yesterday with RAID (md) from the initial setup on a machine. I tried RAID-0 and RAID-1 and both times the installation failed on grub-install. It just hung. The third time I let it sit for about 5 hours and when I got home it was still hung. LILO failed as well and couldn't find hda (no such device).

AMD Athlon 1.2GHz (tbird)
512MB PC2100
Nvidia GF3 64MB
Asus A7M266
2x WD JB 40GB (hda/hdb, tried RAID on these, using md)
1x IBM 16GB (hdc, used for swap and /var)
Adaptec aic7xxx (onboard SCSI)
Plextor SCSI Ultraplex CD
Seagate SCSI Scorpion DAT 20GB
Intel EEPro 100

Tried setting both WD drives bootable at one point, always selected MBR for bootloader installation. I know it may have been "better" to put one half of the RAID on the other controller but this was just an experiment to see if it would even work on initial install.

System installed just fine later without RAID.

Siju George wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to implement Disk mirroring ( Raid1 ) in Debian Sarge. Is
it possible to configure it while installation if I have both hard
disks attached??

Could someone please tell me what is the easiest way ( steps ) to get
this done???

I hope it will be easy because the Installer has an option to
configure software RAID but I a not able to get doing it successfully
:-(

thankyou so much

kind regards

Siju