installation of sarge on Dell Optiplex SX280

What is the best way to install sarge on a Dell Optiplex SX280?

Kernel 2.4 doesn't recognise the SATA hard disk and thus gives the error message "No partitionable media found." Do I need to specify a special boot parameter? I don't know.

Kernel 2.6 installed and worked okay for a few months but I could not configure the default X server to work with the Intel 915G graphics chipset and so I used an X server from a special source:
deb http://debian.uni-klu.ac.at/debian.uniklu/ sarge/uniklu/desktop main

I always felt uncomfortable using this other X server.

I upgraded my system on 4 June and encountered a mouse display problem thereafter, but only in 2 packages: rdesktop and gwenview. The problem is I can't *see* the mouse at all when it's inside the rdesktop/gwenview window. I don't know what has caused the problem. Is the non-standard X server causing the problem? If so, how can I correct the problem?