Re: /etc/debian_version for Etch

Paul E Condon writes:
> Etch, of course, has no version number. So there is no way to test a
> script that has version dependency until it is released into stable.

In order to test your script you can make up a number and put it in there.
The real version number will be assigned and new base-files containing it
will be uploaded well before the release.

> I conclude that all knowledgeable Debian developers do not use the
> contents of /etc/debian-version.

"What version of Debian are you using?"  "I don't know".  "What is in
/etc/debian_version?"  "3.1"  "Ok, you're using Sarge."

That's my only use for it.  I suppose some closed-source vendors might
refer to it in scripts.
--
John Hasler